Your function within the department
The Brandenburg Medical School Theodor Fontane (MHB) is a state-recognized non-profit university under municipal sponsorship. It stands for innovative teaching concepts and the integration of research, student education and patient care. The newly founded Institute of Biostatistics and Registry Research (Dr. Michael Hauptmann) in Neuruppin concentrates on methodological and statistical research. The Institute also provides statistical expertise to clinicians and other investigators on diverse topics from all areas of clinical and epidemiological research.
We are recruiting a scientific programmer (full time or 80%) who will support two PhD students and other researchers working on scientific projects funded by the Dutch Cancer Society, in close collaboration with the Netherlands Cancer Institute in Amsterdam. The first project aims to develop statistical methods for the assessment and prediction of cancer risks from therapeutic radiation exposure incorporating the spatial distribution of radiation dose in the target organ. The project involves simulation studies and application of methods to case-control data on meningioma among childhood cancer survivors and breast cancer among Hodgkin lymphoma survivors. The second project evaluates statistical methods to assess markers for personalized cancer treatment. New methods will be developed, implemented and compared using simulation studies and data from several recent randomized clinical trials on breast cancer.
The position requires:
- Academic (ideally master level) training in computer science, informatics, physics, mathematics, statistics or a related discipline (or equivalent level of experience)
- Solid knowledge of, and relevant experience with, scientific programming in R, SAS, STATA, or Python
- Good communication skills in German & English, including high proficiency in written & spoken English
- Curiosity and desire to expand relevant knowledge and skills
- Ability to work in teams and to support the full cycle of scientific projects, including co-authoring research articles
- Start date between June and September 2019
Your career opportunities and terms of employment
The candidate will be employed for a period of 3 years. Remuneration is comparable to TV-L.
Applications should be a single pdf document to email@example.com and include a letter of motivation describing your relevant experience in the areas mentioned and your CV. Please provide copies of relevant certificates of education. Applications will be reviewed starting early May 2019 and until the position is filled. For further information, please contact Dr. Michael Hauptmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.